I want to follow up on my post on abortions in Mexico
I have seen some more data on abortions in the United States and here are a few things that stood out for me:
1. While the abortion rate has dropped among all racial groups, it remains three times higher among Hispanic women
compared to white women.
2. From 1994 to 2004, the rate of abortions among Hispanic women fell by 20 percent, but the drop for white women was 30 percent.
3. 57 percent of abortions in 2004 were among (all; not just Hispanic) women in their 20s.
4. 60 percent of abortions in 2004 were among (all; not just Hispanic) women who already had children
, up from 50 percent in 1989 and 46 percent in 1974.
What does it mean?
1. As I said before, no matter what someone (parent or boyfriend) tells you, if you are going to be sexually active, use some form of birth control
. I personally like condoms since they protect against AIDS and can be used when you end up making love without much planning.
2. It is particularly important if you are a teen
or a woman in her 20s. This is the age when guys will try to trick you into going to bed with you, in most cases, without using protection (usual excuses include "Oh, I will marry
you," "You are the love of my life," or "I don't feel the sensation with a condom"). If there is a guy who does not care about your body
and his only concern is his body and pleasure, he is not the right man. A good man will respect not just you but also your body. Learn to say NO. It is about you. After all, remember that you are a Lindisima
3. Finally, moms and older women
. Remember that a woman can technically get pregnant at any age
, but definitely, up until late 40s there are still prospects of a pregnancy despite the decline in fertility
. In other words, just because you have children and are around 40, do not abandon birth control. Talk to your doctor so that you can develop a proper birth control regimen for you.